Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What I'm Listening To...

I figured I'd end the machine gun blast of blog posts tonight with a few select choices of music that I've been listening to lately. Granted, we all have different tastes when it comes to music, but I feel that we can all enjoy the beauty of a simple, feel-good song.

1. The XX - Islands - My favorite song by the breakout indie kids, it's great for either a jog/run or something to listen to when you wake up in the morning. The back n forth between the male and female singers works really well here, as it does throughout their whole album. Listen

2. Minus the Bear - Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse - I've really gotten into these guys lately and I am anxiously awaiting their new CD. Despite the quirky title, this is a really laid back song with one of my favorite lines repeated "Let's get a bottle and drink, alone tonight". Listen

3. Gorillaz - Stylo - Few people do the whole "head-nod / car-riding" songs better than Damon Albarn and his animated friends. Stylo is sort of in the same vein as their song "Clint Eastwood", but it has a different sort of flow to it. Definitely check it out if you haven't heard it already. Listen

4. Arctic Monkeys - Cornerstone - This band has grown on me so much in the past few months, it's ridiculous. Their latest album is a little darker than their older, poppier stuff, but it is still worth checking out. This song however is calm and relaxing and shows off lead singer, Alex Turner's talented voice. Listen

5. Modest Mouse - Float On - Here's what I always see happening to me and bands I like. First I'll find out about one of their popular songs (Float On in this case). Then I'll learn about the rest of their catalogue and be blown away. Then other people will discover songs like Float On and subsequent singles that they release, and I'll be like "Yeah, but their old stuff is way better!" Then I'll listen to the first song I heard by them again and fall in love with them all over again. I'm back at this last point for this band. I'm sure you've all heard this song before, but next time you get blindsided by a test and are just looking for some reason to feel good again, this song never fails. Listen

2 comments:

  1. The xx really have grown on me the past year. At first I thought they sounded too adult contemporary, and the male lead vocalist sounds like the lead singer of The Fray (downgrade). But upon repeat listens (over a long period of time) I've come to bask in the dark sexiness (yeah I said it) of the xx's debut album. Islands, Crystallized, Basic Space, Heart Skipped a Beat, Infinity, and Night Time are all amazing tracks, and those not mentioned are pretty great in their own right as well. Have you ever heard their hybrid remix-cover of Florence + the Machine's "You Got the Love"? You should definitely check it out, its one of the xx's best efforts in my opinion. It's funny that you just blogged about them because they're coming to Baltimore tomorrow to play at Sonar downtown. So pumped for the show, you should see if you can still grab tickets if you've got nothing planned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the entire new Gorillaz album is phenomenal. You should check that out too (!!!).

    ReplyDelete