Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Violence in Video Games

Hey all, just browsing the good ole Internet and I happened to come across an article that was related to the violence in video games topic that we discussed last week.

http://www.apa.org/science/about/psa/2003/10/anderson.html

I thought it was interesting that like Dr. Alperstein said, even after all of the research (40 years in this case) they really still do not have a difinitive answer. Although I found those myths interesting, particularly the one about cartoonish violence. I agree that that type of violence is probably more destructive for children and young teens as it mixes something they normally embrace (cartoons) with unrealistic/fantasyish violence.

Anyways, that's all for now. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

2 comments:

  1. In the past, I never had an issue with video games. I considered them another form of entertainment--a way to just pass the time. My siblings and I would literally sit in front of our Sega System or our old school Nintendo System and play for hours. Mainly, it was fun. Most importantly, we were able to separate ourselves from the game. Personally, I think the line between reality and fantasy is blurring in video games due to advancements in technology. Today, I see my younger brother playing Xbox 360 LIVE with his wireless headset and controller. Not only does he PLAY the game, but he LIVES the game. Last time I visited home, I put on his headset. I heard males screaming things like, "Kill him! Kill him! Kill him! Asshole." and "Yo, man. You SUCK." Literally connected to people from all over the world, my brother plays violent games on his system as though he were really a part of it. Not only are the graphics intense, but REAL people form teams, connect to each other, and PLAY like they are in a real war scene. We can only hope they are able to tell real from fake, but the line continues to just blur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For so long, I've discounted the idea that violence in video games can cause violent behavior in real life, but I feel like interactive video games make the line so much more blurred, like Marissa suggested above.

    My boyfriend is a avid Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 player, so I wrote my midterm paper on it and actually played the game for a few hours to get some background. Not only are the graphics much more realistic than they have been in the past (I even have to look away when I get wounded or killed because for some reason, it scares me to see "myself" squirting blood), but the interactions that go on between players over Xbox 360 are often violent in nature. Playing these games could make impressionable young people more aggressive because they have to be within the game.

    Though I don't see it being very probable that most players would do damage if they could get their hands on a real AK47, I have no doubts that it makes players alter their behavior by becoming more aggressive within the game and when talking over the headset to opponents, and this could carry over into their real life.

    ReplyDelete